Permits are required for most kinds of homeowner building projects. There are many different kinds of permits specific to the type of project.
Some common permits include: above ground pools, fencing and plumbing. The requirements and applications for these permits and many others are available at https://www.palmcoastgov.com/government/building/homeowner-permitting.
- Chain link, aluminum, or similar fences shall be black or bronze in color except that aluminum fences may also be white in color. Chain link fences shall not have slats, fabric or similar types of screen material.
- Maximum height shall be measured from finished grade to the top. The finished grade cannot be altered.
- Pep Tank areas -the fence must be located a minimum of 3 feet behind the Pep Panel located on the house.
- Gates on sides and rear of property must swing inward.
- The finished side of the fence must face outward.
- Chicken wire, field fence or other similar types of fence are prohibited.
- Barbed wire, razor wire or electrically charged fences are prohibited.
To apply for the permit, the following is needed:
- Permit application
- job description to include height, material and color
- Site plans/survey - indicate location of fence using XXXXXX - please do not use highlighters. Check our files - http://records.palmcoastgov.com/
- setbacks must be indicated for sides abutting a street
- Landscape plan(may be included on site plan)
- Required along rear or side lot lines abutting right of way, golf course, or saltwater canal; and any fence facing the front or side corner of the property.
- Proof of property ownership - recorded deed or property appraisers office printout
- Owner builder affidavit
- If you are renting, a tenant affidavit will be required (signed by the property owner)
- Notice of commencement (certified copy) this is required for any improvements to your property greater than $2,500. The notice of commencement is to be filled out, and recorded with the Flagler County Clerk’s office in Bunnell. It is not required at the time of permit issuance, but will be required prior to any inspections.
The cost for the permit is estimated at $40.00.
Save a trip and apply for your permit online through our online permitting portal at