What Is a PEP Tank?

The PEP (Pretreatment Effluent Pumping) System is a part of our central sewage system designed for your particular area.

The PEP (Pretreatment Effluent Pumping) System is a part of our central sewage system designed for your particular area. In areas served by the PEP system each home will have a buried tank, a small pump and a control panel that is mounted on the home. The system is owned and operated by the City of Palm Coast Utility Department.

What Are These Lights?
On the control panel, located on the side of house, you will notice a red light and a green light on the side nearest to the road. The green light indicates that the control panel is energized and should always be illuminated. The red light is part of an audio-visual high water alarm. Should the PEP system malfunction, the red light will come on and an audible alarm will sound. If this happens, you should press the audible alarm silence button located on the bottom of the panel and contact a customer service representative NOT a plumber. Please submit a case or call Customer Service at 386-986-2360.

Don’t be alarmed but please reduce water usage until the problem has been corrected. Some common questions:


What happens if there is a power failure?

If the power is off, the pump will not operate. However, a reserve capacity in the pretreatment tank allows for a normal day’s usage before any difficulty may be experienced. During a power outage, your water usage is normally greatly reduced. Electrical appliances, i.e. dishwashers, will also not be functioning, therefore, there is nothing to be alarmed about. Please refer to the City of Palm Coast website www.palmcoastgov.com during storm events for information or instructions concerning water and sewer issues.


Is there anything I shouldn’t put down the drains?

To protect the PEP system and to help prevent your house lines from clogging please do not throw the following down the drains: Plastic of any kind, sanitary napkins and other feminine hygiene materials, cigarette butts, excessive grease, coffee grounds and other inorganic materials, chemicals or petroleum products such as acetone, paint thinner, or oil based products.

All Pep Tank and Meter Requests will be scheduled through the same venues as your building inspections.

Water Meter requests may be submitted once the following requirements have been met:

  • Permit issued
  • Lot cleared
  • Vegetation is cleared in a 5' diameter around both front survey pins
  • Obstructions removed

Pep Tank install requests may be submitted once the following requirements have been met:

  • PEP Tank site must be clear of construction debris. (dumpsters, porta-lets, temporary power poles, and building supplies or materials)
  • Brick or stone must be completed.
  • Homes with pools under construction must provide access on the opposite property line of PEP Tank.
  • Trees cannot be located within tank site.
  • Building or home must be dried in stage (exterior siding, trim, windows, and complete roof system) but prior to the forming of the driveway or sidewalks.
  • A cleanout must be installed on the sewer stub-out by the house as a reference point to assure the tank is placed at the proper elevation. (stakes driven in the ground by the stub-out is not acceptable as a permanent mark)

If the requirements above are not met, the inspection will be cancelled, a re-inspection fee assessed and will need to be requested again when the above criteria has been met.

The installs will be scheduled once the request has been approved.

Any cost incurred due to damage to the Water Meter or PEP Tank during construction shall be the sole responsibility of the builder.

Please click here to login and complete your request